The Life in My Years

An anthology of life

This week’s Lens Artists Challenge, selected by Sofia is Urban Environments (click on the link for Sofia’s take and other takes on Urban Environments).

Urban environments?

Well you’ve got your New York; your Boston; your Montreal; your Las Vegas; and your Los Angeles. All swell towns in their own right, and I’ve been to ‘em all..

But…

Give me San Francisco. And don’t call it Frisco, and really don’t call it San Fran.

There’s three routes in, and two of those require a bridge. The Bay Bridge enters The City from the East Bay.

The Bay Bridge dumps you into downtown and the high rise canyon.

View up Sacramento Street from Embarcadero Center.

Embarcadero Center High Rise

The Financial District reflected in the LinkedIn Building

Downtown San Francisco is a place on the move.

A cable car blurs up Powell St.

Mission Street bus.

Pedestrians hurry on their way past Macy’s

Street musician on busy Market Street.

There’s a mixture of old and new.

There are saints.

Saint Peter and Paul Church Reflected in the glass of Tony’s Italian specialty food store

Candles in Mission Dolores.

And there are sinners.

There’s a bounty of foods for every taste.

Embarcadero farmer’s market

Molinari’s Deli

Quoth Peter Clemenza: “Leave the gun, take the cannoli”

There’s street art, often times political, sometimes controversial. Below two murals in The City’s Hispanic section, the Mission District.

Below, detail from the International Longshoremen’s Memorial dedicated to the waterfront strike of 1934. The mural is sited at the location where two strike participants were fatally shot.

International Longshoremen’s Memorial

To get to The City from the north you take this other bridge.

San Francisco is a peninsula, located between the San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean. Roughly seven miles from downtown is old Fort Point, located under the Golden Gate Bridge. From the fort you can watch Pacific waves hit the shore.

The Pacific Ocean viewed through holes in a Fort Point gun port.

27 thoughts on “Lens-Artists Photo Challenge – Urban Environments

1. M.B. Henry says:

Fantastic! I actually love the gourd shot 🙂 🙂 Feels very fall vibe

1. Paul says:

Hello M.B.
      Thank you so much. I guess it’s getting to that time of year when I can return for more gourd shots.
      Paul

1. M.B. Henry says:

It’s coming up quick!

1. Paul says:

Thank you.

2. Very very cool shots, Paul!

1. Paul says:

Thank you Peter. I always appreciate you reading and commenting.
      Paul

3. JohnRH says:

WOW. Grrreat photos and variety. I love all the bridge shots too. Well done.

1. Paul says:

Thank you John.
      Your comments are always appreciated.
      Paul

4. Alison says:

Wow spectacular Paul, great look at San Francisco
    I love the way you’ve captured so many buildings in one shot

1. Paul says:

Hello Alison,
      Thank you so much for visiting and for the kind words.
      Paul

5. Sofia Alves says:

Excellent, excellent post and photos. Love your opener but all of them are spectacular.

1. Paul says:

Hello Sofia,
      Thank you for visiting and for the kind words. And thank you for leading this challenge. Urban photography has become one of my favorite themes.
      Paul

6. margaret21 says:

San Francisco has long been on my ‘must-visit’ list and now even more so. I might have to head for the LinkedIn building to see those reflections!

1. Paul says:

Hello Margaret,
      Thank you for visiting and commenting. I hope that one day you’re able to visit. One important tip for you; bring a jacket, even in summer. It may be California but it isn’t always warm and sunny.
      Paul

1. margaret21 says:

I’m British, so jackets come as standard every day of the year – but thanks!

7. Toonsarah says:

You’ve captured the feeling of this city so well and your affection for it is very apparent. I especially loved the Bay Bridge shot because of the atmosphere added by the mist, and those of the city on the move – and in particular the street musician 🙂

1. Paul says:

Hello Sarah,
      “I especially loved the Bay Bridge shot because of the atmosphere added by the mist, and those of the city on the move – and in particular the street musician”
      I took the photo of the street musician the Christmas before COVID and it’s been sort of a throw away. It finally fit a theme for me.
      Thank you for visiting and commenting.
      Paul

8. Well having only just returned from a trip which included San Francisco, I can only echo your comments. Exciting and enchanting city so full of life.

1. Paul says:

Thank you so much for reading and commenting. And I’m so glad you enjoyed The City. It’s reputation has taken some bruises lately and it’s refreshing to know that you enjoyed San Francisco.
      Paul

9. ResinRapture says:

The reflection in the linkedIn Building almost looks like modern art. Lovely mixture of orderly structures (including meat) and unorderly forms for the chaos that is life.

1. Paul says:

Hello RR,
      I spent a good hour walking around downtown capturing reflections in the financial district glass. Best on Sundays when businesses are closed and people are at a minimum.
      Thank you for reading and commenting.
      Paul

1. ResinRapture says:

The walk was sure worth it, it looks fantastic.

10. Tina Schell says:

You chose one of my favorite places Paul – so much to see and do, hard to distill it into one post! Wonderful images, loved the reflection especially

1. Paul says:

Hello Tina,
      “…hard to distill it into one post!”
      So true. That’s why I keep on going back for more.
      Thank you for reading and commenting.
      Paul

11. eden baylee says:

I need to visit San Fran, heh. I guess I should get that out of my system before I come.
    I love the shot of the Financial District in the LinkedIn Building, and the meat shot. I’m hungry now.
    And that line “Leave the gun, take the cannoli” – CLASSIC. Too bad I don’t like cannolis, but I love the quote!

Would love to hear from you

%d bloggers like this: