The Life in My Years

An anthology of life

Part of our first day in Montreal was spent strolling up and down the aisles of Marche Jean Talon, a public market located in the city’s Little Italy district. Window shopping; I can take it or leave it. That is unless we’re at a farmer’s market. Then I’m all in, as I was when we went to the Jean Talon Public Market.

Jean Talon is a gastronomic playland, an amusement park that excites all the senses; the vibrant colors of flowers, pungent perfume of the cheesemonger, the crunch of a crusty loaf of bread, the warmth of a cup of cappuccino cradled in you palm and a myriad of tastes, from the sweet maple syrup candies to a savory crepe of mushrooms, bechamel, ham, and cheese.

IMG_0745

Opened in 1933, Marche Jean Talon is one of Montreal’s oldest public markets.

Below: Colorful bouquets and plants offered by the flower merchants.

IMG_0720

IMG_0742

IMG_0728

Marche Jean Talon is a half acre of purveyors of deliciousness. We came away with some creamy goat cheese, salami from the charcuterie, brilliant red strawberries, a loaf of bread and croissants.

While in Montreal we stayed in an apartment in a pleasant working class neighborhood on the outskirts of the gay village district. The apartment has a little back porch with table and chairs and this is where I took breakfast while Cora slept in. Breakfast always consisted of coffee, the savory pleasures that we brought home from Jean Talon, a good book and the quiet of the morning.

IMG_0882

Strawberries, goat cheese a chocolate croissant and coffee.

To leave Jean Talon without a full and groaning grocery bag would be a shame. But even if you do come away with nothing in hand, the sights, sounds and smells will leave a lasting impression. IMG_0731-3IMG_0727IMG_0735IMG_0852IMG_0737

Please follow and like us:

17 thoughts on “Friday Fotos: Marche Jean Talon, Montreal, Canada

1. Kyung Lee says:

What a delightful part of your stay! Love your breakfast menue AND routine!

1. Paulie says:

Kyung, I could not begin to describe how good that cheese was. I miss it!

2. johnlmalone says:

such gorgeous, warming colours

1. Paulie says:

Thank you John. It is a very warming place – especially for the appetite.

3. Wow! Those colours! Mouthwatering!

1. Paulie says:

Thank you and thank you for visiting.

4. Sheree says:

I love markets and your photos reveal this one was really fantastic

1. Paulie says:

Thank you Sheree. It is a fantastic place. A must see for anyone visiting Montreal.

1. Sheree says:

Montreal and Quebec are on my bucket list

5. Prior... says:

I enjoyed your post here – the way you describe the grocery bag as groaning was fun… and when we travel / my hubs usually has coffee and early morning While I sleep in too! And your breakfast plate from the store connected so well to
    How you worded it earlier in the post. ☺️

1. Paulie says:

Thank you so much for visiting and commenting. Jean Talon was one of the highlights of the trip. I just wish that we had a similar market in our area that was open every day.
      The arrangement that we have with our spouses is pretty great isn’t it. I can go out and take pictures, guilt free because I know that part of her vacation highlight is sleeping in and relaxing.

1. Prior... says:

Thanks for the nice reply – and wishing you a good day

6. Oh, My! If I ever get there, I am visiting this market for sure! Those flowers are exquisite and brought a huge smile to my face. Thank you for adding more beauty and happiness to my day 🙂

1. Paulie says:

Jean Talon is a must. Anyone who visits should take along a big shopping bag and an appetite for having a meal there. There’s a wonderful creperie in the market. Or you can just buy a variety of foods from different purveyors and sit at one of the many tables.

7. Beautiful pictures , certainly on of the most interesting markets

1. Paulie says:

Thank you. I enjoyed your own post on the relevance of public markets. On point.